Monday, November 29, 2010

Week #7: Switzerland

Switzerland!  I didn't think of it until just now, but I really should have scanned in some fun pictures from my childhood while I was in Texas this weekend. 

Memories from Switzerland...we went on a dogsled ride in the Alps (right after a bunch of nuns, actually).  We rode on a train up to the summit of some mountain, and the snow was so bright you couldn't look directly at the mountain.  I think that was maybe Jungfrau?  I don't know. 

I remember it being breathtaking, which is saying something since I was maybe 7 or 8 at the time. 


Switzerland (German: die Schweiz,[note 3] French: la Suisse, Italian: la Svizzera, Romansh: la Svizra), officially the Swiss Confederation.




The cuisine of Switzerland is multi-faceted. While some dishes such as fondue, raclette or rösti are omnipresent through the country, each region developed its own gastronomy according to the differences of climate and languages.[159] Traditional Swiss cuisine uses ingredients similar to those in other European countries, as well as unique dairy products and cheeses such as Gruyère or Emmental, produced in the valleys of Gruyères and Emmental. The number of fine-dining establishments is high, particularly in western Switzerland.[160][161]
Chocolate had been made in Switzerland since the 18th century but it gained its reputation at the end of the 19th century with the invention of modern techniques such as conching and tempering which enabled its production on a high quality level. Also a breakthrough was the invention of milk chocolate in 1875 by Daniel Peter. The Swiss are the world's largest consumers of chocolate.[162][163]
The most popular alcoholic drink in Switzerland is wine. Switzerland is notable for the variety of grapes grown because of the large variations in terroirs, with their specific mixes of soil, air, altitude and light. Swiss wine is produced mainly in Valais, Vaud (Lavaux), Geneva and Ticino, with a small majority of white wines. Vineyards have been cultivated in Switzerland since the Roman era, even though certain traces can be found of a more ancient origin. The most widespread varieties are the Chasselas (called Fendant in Valais) and Pinot Noir. The Merlot is the main variety produced in Ticino.[164][165]



This week I'm going to rely heavily on allrecipes.com, mostly because they let me scale the recipes easily.  Nick is bonding with my parents in Texas this week, so I'll be fonduing it up on my own.  Gosh, that's a shame.  :-)

Here are the picks:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cheese-Fondue/Detail.aspx
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Swiss-Steak-Quick-and-Easy/Detail.aspx
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cheese-Rosti/Detail.aspx - the original hash browns?

Everything I'm finding is heavily cheese and potato...I won't lie, after last week, I was really hoping for something more, er, GI tract-friendly.  I think the plan for this week is to make these dishes (honestly, just three will be enough, with leftovers, to keep me fed for the week) and supplement with lots of salad.  I might try a wine fondue later on though, we'll see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment