Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Deep Fried Veggies: Tempura

Confession time: I have never deep fried anything.  Nick has a deep fryer, and there was an incident with some funnel cake when we first started dating (we don't like to talk about it, but there's a reason there wasn't any funnel cake in our county fair engagement pictures), but I've never actually deep fried anything myself. 

That all ended last night.  I made the batter per the directions provided...way way way too doughy.  Next time I'll add a full cup of water, not half a cup.  I did use ice water, per the directions, and I dried my veggies on paper towels...it wasn't bad.  It needed some salt for sure, but it wasn't bad.  Definitely not restaurant grade, but for my first attempt, I'm ok with how it came out.



What you see are sweet potatoes, zucchini, carrots, and bananas.  There's just nothing that isn't improved by deep frying it.  :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment