Monday, January 10, 2011

Udon Noodles and Peanut Sauce: The Most Colorful Dish in A While

In an effort to use up some of the last of the Japanese week leftovers, last night I made Udon Peanut Butter Noodles. Kind of a quick 'n' easy version of Pad Thai almost.  It was super good and SUPER fast.  Using rotisserie chicken made it ridiculously quick to put together.  I used 16 oz of noodles (the recipe calls for 9) and half a red pepper, and there was still a LOT of sauce.  I think I could have lived with half the sauce, to be honest.  I also used water instead of chicken stock, and low-sodium soy sauce, and it still seemed a little salty to me.  But maybe that's just me.  Regardless, udon noodles are yummy and have a fun texture.  I'd make them again. 


Of course, Kini was just miserable about this dish...peanut butter covered chicken??  Poor puppy didn't get so much as a lick!

1 comment:

  1. So I made a modified version of this, more like Dan-Dan. I used only items we had already in the house: angel hair pasta, smooth peanut butter (this stuff is way better with chunky)(and I almost doubled it), sesame oil, and a garlic/ginger paste we get at the Indian food store. I threw in a dash of chili pepper. The rest of the sauce ingredients were the same. Then I topped it only with slices of cucumber (which is more like Dan-Dan). Besides, I hate cilantro;-)
    Anyway, the point is you can customize this dish to your personal flavors and it's still a great big peanut buttery hit!
    Again, thank you! Now I no longer need to get this take-out!

    ReplyDelete