Thursday, January 20, 2011

MIA But Not Forgotten...

...one of these week's I'll stop pushing regions to the end of the list.  I swear.  It's just been one of those weeks...work has been crazy (I was up working until 1 am on Tuesday), it hasn't stopped snowing in like, 3 years, and I started training at the gym last night.  Oh. My. Goodness.  I haven't been this excited about anything in a really long time...look out Jillian Michaels, I'm coming for you. 

Seriously though, I've been cooking at home, it just hasn't been exciting (last night for example, I fried up some udon noodles for me, and made a pb&j for Nick). 

Tonight I won't get home until probably 8 PM, so I need something fast and healthy.  Suggestions?  Salad mixes won't cut it. 

5 comments:

  1. You can probably have these on the table in 1/2 hour. They're very healthy and very tasty. It's how I get my spinach, aside from in a salad. Enjoy!

    Turkey Burgers
    1 lb ground turkey
    1 10-13oz bag/box frozen spinach, thawed
    1/4 breadcrumbs
    1/4 onion, chopped
    1.5 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (I used 2T)
    Dash of hot sauce

    1. Squeeze the spinach to get as much water out as possible.
    2. Mix all ingredients together.
    3. Make 5 patties.
    4. Broil about 7 minutes per side or until internal temp reaches 170.
    5. Serve with something else healthy (e.g., steamed cauliflower or broccoli, wine)

    Tips:
    - I saute the onions until they are almost caramelized -- sweetens the burger, but that takes extra time so probably not for tonight
    - Sometimes we use shallots instead of onion; it's a nice touch. Red onion would also work, if you like it.
    - We skip the breadcrumbs, but I left it in the recipe because it's in the original
    - I find the recipe really needs several dashes of hot sauce for the taste to register. If you don't have hot sauce, you could throw in 1/8-1/4 tsp chili powder. Or skip it altogether.
    - Squeezing the spinach is the biggest pain, but doesn't take too long. Have Nick do it while you do everything else. He's strong :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS That should say "1/4 cup breadcrumbs"

    ReplyDelete
  3. My go to healthy and quick dinner is tomato soup and grilled cheese. 15 minutes and you're ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This takes 20 minutes start to finish. It's healthy and satisfying and adaptable to your tastes: http://www.chow.com/food-news/55092/the-basics-how-to-make-noodles-with-tofu-and-peanut-sauce/

    ReplyDelete