Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Steak Churrasco & Fried Plantains

Another yummy meal, courtesy of my good friend Heidi! 

Both dishes were SUPER easy to make, and I will definitely be using this marinade again and again.  So good!  Would be even better if left over night I bet. 

I used a slightly staged process to get the meal done.  First up, I made the marinade (food processor was absolutely necessary for this...I'd hate to do it any other way).  I probably used closer to 8 cloves of garlic, but I LOVE garlic so it was a necessity.  I used a rib eye cut and didn't tenderize the meat first, since it's already such a tender cut.  I threw everything in a bag and let it sit for 30-40 minutes.

During that time, I did some laundry and sliced the plantains.  I used canola oil, and had my stove on medium high heat for this.  You can see the two on the left I flipped over, thinking they were done...not so!  I left the rest of them in for about 5 minutes and they turned golden BROWN, not golden YELLOW.  There's a difference.  :-)
Once the first batch was done (about one plantain), I let them dry on some paper towel and threw in the second batch.  Then I went out and turned on the grill (it's propane), came back in to check, took the steaks out of the bag, flipped the plantains, and took the steaks out to the grill.  I grilled the steaks on high about 5-7 minutes a side (mine were thicker than in the recipe Heidi provided), so by the time the first side was done, so was the second batch of plantains.
I let the plantains cool a bit, then ground up some sea salt to bring out the flavor some more. 
Finally, everything was done and I could not get a good picture of the full meal to save my life, but it was super yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment