Monday, December 6, 2010

Party Menu

I love Christmas.  Even more, I love Christmas parties.  I love attending, I love throwing, I hate cleaning up after, but it's worth it.


On the menu for this year's Christmas fete:

Nutella and Banana GalettesOMG YES.  Little mini Nutella and banana tostadas with pie crust instead of tortilla chip.  Duh, they're on the menu.

Empanadas.  Not sure of the filling yet, but there will definitely be vegetarian and meat-lovers options available.  I'll probably try to make these on Thursday and freeze them so I can just pop them in the oven on Saturday.

Cajun Mistakes.  This is a sample recipe, but isn't my family recipe.  We just use sausage, beef, Velveeta, Tabasco, and party rye bread.  Same basic concept though. This is another one that's easy to freeze then bake the day of.

Cheese straws. Again, this is a sample recipe but not the family recipe.  I actually have never made these (or haven't since college...I vaguely remember making them then). I'll post the family recipe later.Totally "make in advance"able. 

Tortilla rollups.  Cream cheese, olives, green chilis.  Spread on tortillas, roll and slice.  Boom.  Yumminess ensues. 

Chili.  Nick is on this one...we need something solid, so there will be a vat of chili available in the Crock Pot. Chili is his specialty though.

Caramel Popcorn.  The best part of holiday fooding is making this stuff.  I discovered it last year and have made at least a dozen batches since.  Easy to make ahead...just don't make too far ahead or it won't last!  Or make a decoy batch and hide the real stuff where you won't eat it until the day of.

Bite-sized pizzas.  Basic concept, no real recipe...just get some canned dough, cut it into little squares (3x3), then add your favorite sauce, cheese, toppings, etc.  Opens the field for vegetarian options, picky eater options, and playing with ideas.  Might even set this up as a "make your own" station, with bowls of toppings and sauces available and me mingling elsewhere.  Who knows.

UPDATE:
Thanks Jen, I almost forgot!  Crystallized Ginger Cookies. I made these a few weeks ago, and I will definitely be making them again.

Phew!  I think that'll keep people fed for a while.  Probably too much food, really.  But what the heck, it's Christmas.  :-)

2 comments: